Monday, October 6, 2008

Find Joy In The Journey

So we were "trying" to watch conference yesterday, but it was a little difficult to hear with all the kids jumping on the couch and running around the family room.   Sean was complaining that he had just steam cleaned the couch the day before and how they were climbing all over it and getting it dirty again.   President Monson started speaking and said some things that hit me like a freight train.    I don't remember it word for word, but you'll get the point.   He said something like when your children dirty clean surfaces, and bring toys out that you just put away and dirty the house,  that we need to find joy in the journey.   I just looked at Sean and said "See he is talking directly to us".   It was wild.   It was so ironic the things he was saying.   It was totally meant for me at this stage in my life.   Sometimes I feel like all I do is pick up, clean up and tell me kids no no all the time.   I have felt frustrated lately, because I feel like whatever I do they undo it and I can't get on top of it.   A lot of days I just feel like why bother cleaning they will just trash it all over again.  I really need to find joy in the journey.   This stage is so temporary and they will be grown before I know it.   So when the twins are running down the street in different directions laughing their darling heads off, I will find joy in chasing them.
When they are both climbing on the table and I have to lift them off fifty times, I will find joy in that.   When we are out to dinner and Tate throws a chicken nugget and it hits some lady in the head I will find joy in that.  It was freakin hilarious, but totally embarrassing.  Don't get me wrong I love my kids more than anything and wouldn't trade them for the world, but can I have my house stay clean for more than 2 hours please?     So when you feel like you can't pick up one more toy, or break up one more fight, remember to find joy in this journey, because it is your season and will end someday.

7 comments:

lvs2dance said...

What a great post! I felt like you were writing it about MY children! I say AMEN to all of it. You wish for your house to stay clean for at least 2 hours??? I would settle for 30 minutes! LOL

crystal said...

Oh, do I hear ya. I loved this talk.

pilatesmommy said...

It's so true but hard to do sometimes...don't you think?

stephanie said...

i LOVED that quote myself, what a great conference weekend...let me know when you guys get together to make those signs again

Amberly said...

It is hard a lot of the time, but all we can do is try.

laura said...

hi amberly! i just discovered your blog and it's so great to catch up! hope you're all well!

Brenna LaPray said...

Your kids are darling. I love their names! It's so fun to see what my future holds. If you go to my blog and click on Davies, you will see Camille Heckmans twins. I think everyone is having twins these days. I'll keep checking in.